Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Jazz Jam Sessions and Open Mics in San Francisco

I appreciate any suggestions/corrections that people may have regarding the accuracy of my reviews...thank you!

Monday
Rasselas Jazz Club
1534 Fillmore St.
(415) 346-8696
rasselasjazzclub.com

This open mic is lead by the Tod Dickow Quartet.  I have only been there twice to sit in but the house band and the visiting musicians are very talented and tend to be older, which means that they tend to be more experienced.  There is also a wide array of vocalists, which is interesting considering I very rarely see singers at jam sessions.  The Band leader told me that the house band is pretty fluid, different people play there from night to night on Mondays.  Rasselas itself has a very nice look to it, more of a restaurant feel rather than a divey night club.  Much to my annoyance, you have to buy a drink and if you pay by credit card or debit, it's a $10 minimum.  I don't know this through experience, but many musicians have reported to me that Rasselas doesn't treat the house bands very well.  But as someone who just goes there to sit in and listen to some good jazz, it's a great time with quality musicians and atmosphere.

A good time to go for sitting in is around 9:15pm.  The house band starts at 8:30pm.  There is a sign up sheet next to the tip jar. There is no cover charge.


Grant & Green Saloon
1371 Grant Ave. (at Green)
(415) 693-9565
www.myspace.com/grantandgreensf

I really enjoy this jam session when I'm able to make it over there.  If I had a car, I would probably go there every Monday to sing.  Since the jam session starts at 11:15pm and ends at 1:30am, I would have to sing first and then leave immediately; otherwise I wouldn't be able to make it home without taking a cab.  However, the house band does start at 10pm so that's something that definitely should not be missed.  It seems like a very lively group.  I typically go to jazz jams alone and  hang out with whomever happens to be there, but this is the one place that I don't feel comfortable going to alone as a woman because it's divey and feels a lot like a pick up bar. But the sound is amazing and I've seen the best musicians hang out there.  I haven't sang at Grant & Green yet but I will eventually.  However, when I went to the bar to get a cup of water, the bartender asked me for my ID even though I wasn't planning on buying alcohol.  At that point, I had lost my ID a couple weeks ago so I was kicked out of the bar!  If you're under age and want to get some water ask a friend to get it or you will be kicked out!  There is no cover charge at this jam session.


Tuesday
Club Deluxe
1511 Haight St.
(415) 552-6949

I have a fondness and a lot of memories attached to Club Deluxe even though a lot of musicians tend to degrade it on a pretty regular basis.  I can understand their side of it because they make next to nothing when they perform there and the acoustics are pretty low in quality.  But, again, as someone who sits in and enjoys listening to the music, Club Deluxe is a very positive atmosphere.  The decor and style of the place comes off as very classy as well as nostalgic.  It's a small and cozy club so you're practically sitting right next to the musicians while they play.  It has a very personal feeling to it all.  Club Deluxe was my first jazz club and it ushered me into the jazz scene in many ways.  I have also heard from various people that the drinks are made well even though they are a tad pricey.  The jam session is lead by Eugene Warren on Bass (a very talented bassist and a good human being) so be sure to approach him to sit in if you're new. The house band is pretty fluid so different musicians are always playing there.  There is no cover charge.  I'm extremely comfortable singing there because I've hung out at Club Deluxe a lot and I'm familiar with many of the musicians there.  A good time to go is around 9:30pm.


Wednesday
Kaleidoscope Free Speech Zone
3109 24th st
Kaleidoscopefreespeechzone.com
Michael Parsons Jam Session
7:30pm-10:30pm

This jam session is extremely laid back and new so the crowd is a little sparce at the moment but I'm confident that it will gain momentum.  It is held every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month.  Apparently, this is not a traditionally structured session according to some musicians that I've talked to.  Traditionally, the leader of the jam session is supposed to perform with the house band for awhile and then step off to officially open it up for other musicians to play.  But Michael is eager and loves to play piano, so it seems that he will typically let people play and then come back up for another round.  Which is fine, because it is his jam session after all.  No complaints on this end because he is a great piano player and yet another good person in jazz to get to know.  So approach the piano player if you want to sit in.  Kaleidoscope is yet another place that I have fond memories with.  It is a casual performance space in an excellent part of the Mission District right next to Philz Coffee.  It's cozy, colorful, and feels a lot like you're sitting in someone's living room.  The acoustics are amazing and the woman (Sara Powell) who runs it is one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet! There is also a lot of interesting artwork to check out on the walls.  There is no cover charge.


Thursday
Savanna Jazz
2937 Mission St.
(415) 285-3369
savannajazz.com

Sam Grobe-Heinz/Tomoko Funaki Trio, Starts at 7:30pm, $5 cover charge.

Sunday
Dogpatch Saloon
2496 3rd st
(415) 643-8592
5:30pm-8pm

I came here to sing once but I didn't get the chance because I came too late in the night! Make sure to come before 5:30pm or exactly at 5:30pm because there was a whole mess of people waiting to sit in so obviously it's a good open mic to go to.  It seems to have a huge following.  The Dogpatch is out in the middle of nowhere but it's a really nice place.  It's well-lit, clean, and has a very jovial feel to it.  I remember it having really great sound as well.  Just an overall very friendly place.  There is a $5 cover charge.

Madrone Art Bar
500 Divisadero st.
(415) 241-0202
madronelounge.com

Wil Blades Jam Session.  7pm-12am.  I haven't been here yet but I will report my experience when I have.   No cover charge.

Cafe International
508 Haight St.
(415) 552-7390
www.cafeinternational.us

I have not been to this one yet.  There is no cover charge.  Jazz starts at 4pm.

Savanna Jazz
2937 Mission St.
(415) 285-3369
savannajazz.com

The house band starts at 7:30pm and then opens up the jam session at around 9pm. Robert Meier (Bass) is the band leader so approach him to sit in.  I sat in with a very nice bunch of guys.  Really understanding and easy to communicate with.  I really enjoyed the stage even though it was super small.  The overall vibe of the place was positive. And they were super nice to me even though I totally messed up my second song.  It's unfortunate that people were going there to eat but not staying for the jazz.  I hear that Savanna doesn't get a big crowd but I suspect it has something to do with the location in the outer Mission/Excelsior.  The place was a little worn but the ambiance was nice and true to the spirit of Jazz.  I liked that when the musicians took a break, old performances of Jazz legends were put on the TV.  Jazz legend portraits hang all over the walls.
There is a $5 cover charge.

3 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for the info, I want to comment and ask further but I don't know if you can see this. Contact me at neilsemail@gmail.com please

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I just wanted to let you know about a brand new Jazz Jam Session called the 2nd Saturday Jazz Jam. It will be starting this Sat. March 9 2013.

    We get together on the 2nd Saturday of each month at Two Jacks, Nik's Place from 6:00pm - 9:00pm.

    Two Jacks Nik's Place is located at:
    401 Haight Street, (corner of Haight & Webster)
    San Francisco, CA 94117

    ReplyDelete
  3. jazz is officially dead in sf.

    ReplyDelete